At Seachange, our active residents understand the importance of nourishing the body. Not only does exercise improve our physical well-being but it has a vital impact on our mental health as well. While all of our residents have access to state-of-the-art gym facilities at each of our resort locations, fitting in a quick workout from the comfort of your own home is another great way to stay active.
Other benefits to exercising from home include listening to your music of choice out loud, wearing whatever you want, and the overall convenience of being in your own home. Try out these simple, yet effective, beginner exercises to kick-start your workout.
Squats will help strengthen the muscles in your legs and core, making everyday movements easier. Start with a chair underneath you to help master the proper form.
- Stand in front of the chair with your feet shoulder-width apart, toes pointed slightly out.
- Hinging at your hips and bending your knees, lower back and down until your bottom touches the chair, allowing your arms to extend out in front of you.
- Push up through your heels and return to the starting position.
The next exercise is a beginner-style push-up, this move will help you build strength before attempting a standard push-up.
- Get into a high plank position from your knees.
- Maintaining a straight line from your head to your knees, bend your elbows to lower yourself down to the ground. Keep your elbows at a 45-degree angle.
- Push back up to start.
Now target your quads, hamstrings, and glutes with a stationary lunge.
- Split your stance with your right leg in front. Your right foot should be flat on the ground, and your left foot should be up on its toes.
- Bend your knees and lunge, stopping when your right thigh is parallel to the ground.
- Push up through your right foot to return to the starting position. Repeat for desired number of reps, then switch legs.